Each year there are several hundred people from Calgary who volunteer to be judges at the Calgary Youth Science Fair. Without these volunteers, the fair would not be possible.
The 2019 fair participants will be judged on Friday April 5 at the Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary.
If you are interested in being a judge at the science fair, and are at least 19 years old or attending a post-secondary institution, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- Review the Judges FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).
- Fill out the Judge Registration Form
- If you haven't judged before, or if you'd like a refresher, attend one of the Judging Seminars that are held before the fair. The seminars helps judges become more familiar with the fair, the scientific method, judging procedures and communicating with young scientists. Returning judges who would like a refresher on the judging process are also encouraged to attend. Sandwiches, juice and cookies are provided.
- The dates for the seminars will be announced closer to the Fair Date.
- Attend the Judges' Preview night on Thursday April 4 from 5PM to 8PM at the Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary. All judges are encouraged to drop in to preview the projects with no students present and to meet with other judges in a social setting. Judges will be given the project locations of the projects they will likely be judging on Friday morning. Snacks and beverages will be provided.
- Show up for the actual judging day at the Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary at 7:15 am. Unless you are involved in the second round judging process, you should be finished by around noon.
If after reading the Frequently Asked Questions, you have questions that still haven't been answered, please contact CYSF Judging.
You can find the tally sheets used for judging here:
Elementary Tally Sheet (French)
Secondary Tally Sheet (French)
Know anyone else who may be interested in judging? We are still looking for more judges, particularly ones with expertise in life and health sciences. Please direct them to this page, or download our flyer and distribute it to anyone who might be interested.